Protected by Copyscape DMCA Copyright Protection

Sunday, April 15, 2012

April 15th



Taxes are due


My Grandfather died
 


The sinking of the RMS Titanic
 


Sounds strange?  

Maybe.


I have always been fascinated by this story and tragic event and back in 2003 when the Titanic exhibit came to The Los Angeles Science Center I went to it.  It's not so much the tragedy in and of itself that I find interesting, but of the stories of the people on board it's maiden voyage and how they responded to such an event.

The exhibit was fascinating, eye opening and truly sad at the amount of loss of life.  The artifacts that were retrieved from such a watery grave was amazing.  The shoes of gentlemen and children, shaving utensils, a deck chair and the rows and rows of plates that looked as if someone placed them down themselves.



When you entered the exhibit you were given a boarding pass of an actual passenger aboard the Titanic.  Your boarding pass had the passengers name and whether they were a First Class, Second Class or Third Class passenger aboard.  My boarding pass happen to be of a First Class passenger traveling with her husband, children and her maid and though I had kept the boarding pass for many years after the exhibit I have lost it since then.  I no longer know the name of the woman's family name.  However, I do remember that she did survive along with her maid and children, but tragically her husband died.  What made the exhibit come to life was part of the ship had been displayed in the exhibit.


 

My boarding pass indicated that "my"cabin was on the other side of this actual piece of ship.  Chills ran down my spine.  The differences of the classes were displayed in a subtle and prominent way for you to experience.  The tour walks you through the hallways of Third Class cabins of four bunks and one sink to a cabin and the constant loud vibration and noise of the engines running to the opulent and spacial cabins of a First Class passenger.  It is even displayed in the dinnerware of the classes.  


First Class


 Second Class

 

Third Class




It has been 100 years since this tragic ending for so many and yet the story lives on and still captivates people.  I hope that we have learned from the mistakes of this night of running a ship at full speed into dangerous waters, ignoring multiple warnings of icebergs and an unprepared crew.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment